This blog may contain affiliate links. Read our disclosure policy for more info.
Where can you eat the best burger in Queenstown? Well, it is at one of two places – Fergburger which is internationally famous, or Devil Burger which is the local favorite. I recently tried both places and this blog is my unbiased opinion about where I think you can get the best burger in Queenstown.
As New Zealand’s tourist hotspot, Queenstown offers some awesome food! There are literally dozens of restaurants and bars in Queenstown all within walking distance.
You can find basically any kind of food you could ever want – and a huge gourmet burger is no exception!
Many locals in Queenstown often debate about what is Queenstown’s best burger? This is largely due to Fergburger’s international fame which has created plenty of skeptics calling the burger joint overrated and suggesting that in fact, Devil Burger (a New Zealand burger chain) is actually much better!
So we decided to put both burger joints under the microscope and find out for ourselves where you can get Queenstown’s best burger!
Fergburger Vs. Devil Burger
While there are several places you could eat a good burger in Queenstown, two places, in particular, have claimed their name to fame, Fergburger and Devil Burger. These two burger joints are very similar but also very different.
It is the ultimate question among those who live in Queenstown “do you prefer Devil Burger or Fergbruger” and everyone has their favorite.
Last week I ate at both burger joints. I have carefully compared them and have decided who I think makes the best burger in Queenstown.
Note, neither Fergburger nor Devil Burger has endorsed this post and my opinion is entirely non-biased.
The Wait Time and Line-Up
The first thing that I must address when comparing Fergburger and Devil Burger is the wait time.
Fergburger has become internationally famous. Many blogs have written about how you must have a Fergubuger while in Queenstown and people actually take selfies with the burgers and post them on Instagram.
Fergburger has even earned itself a spot on TripAdvisor in terms of things to do in Queenstown!
For this reason, Fergburger is always busy! It isn’t just one of the most popular Queenstown restaurants, but a tourist attraction! If you are a tourist in Queenstown then waiting in line for a Fergburger is something you should do – you can’t come to Queenstown and not try Fergburger, right?
Fergburger during peak lunch hours and dinner hours is crazy, the line goes out the door and down the block just to order, let alone wait for the food. I have never walked by Fergburger and there wasn’t a line, even at 10 am in the morning.
It isn’t a question as to if there is a line-up, but rather how long is the line? To be fair, they do staff the place very well and generally, the wait isn’t too bad (but can be well over an hour at peak times.)
Hot tip: You can phone your order in at Fergburger ahead of time to skip the line. While this sounds great in theory, sometimes it can be very hard to get through on the phone.
Devil Burger is definitely less busy, it’s located on a less popular street and not as well known by tourists. In fact, Devil Burger is commonly referred to as “the local’s Ferg” as it is often visited by locals instead of just tourists like Fergburger.
The main reason why locals don’t go to Fergburger is due to the wait. So if you are out about already and looking for a place to eat and don’t want to brave the hectic crowds of selfie-taking tourists, Devil Burger it is!
If you want a quick feed, skip Ferg. Devil Burger takes the win on wait time.
Devil Burger has a bigger building with lots of seating and even a fireplace whereas Fergburger has a couple of wooden chairs that are almost always full.
The atmosphere at Fergburger is always crazy, there is nowhere to sit and people are everywhere. Many are waiting in line, and others are eating burgers standing in the middle of the sidewalk.
Fergburger and its craziness have become somewhat of a novelty, and as a tourist, it is something you should experience at least once!
While Devil Burger sometimes does get so busy that there aren’t enough seats for everyone, this is rare, and the location makes it a lot less chaotic. Both places serve beer and other drinks, but without a place to sit, I’m not sure having a beer is worth it.
To me, the best burger in Queenstown is best accompanied by a beer. So again, Devil Burger takes the cake (or should I say “burger) on this one!
Fergburger serves all their burgers in packaging for takeaway whereas Devil Burger asks if it is to stay or go, and if you stay, you get your burger served on a proper plate.
Devil Burger is definitely set up to be a place to sit down and enjoy more than Fergburger where they are just pumping out as many burgers as humanly possible.
I don’t overly enjoy having to eat standing up while being pushed around by tourists. Listening to music beside a fireplace is more my style, and for that reason, Devil Burger definitely has a better atmosphere.
A Closer Look At Both Burgers
This is the ultimate question, who actually makes the best burger in Queenstown? Both places have amazing burgers, large patties, and tons of options to choose from – so, let’s break it down!
When it comes to beef burgers I have to say it’s a very hard choice. Both meat patties are seasoned really well and both came sized to the bun. However, I would slightly lean more towards Fergburgers patty as it was slightly juicier.
As for the chicken, Devil Burger wins! The best chicken burger I have ever had in my life was at Devil Burger. It was much juicier and tasty than the one I had at Ferg’s which was very dry!
Fergburger easily wins when it comes to the bun. To be honest, I’m not sure why Devil Burger uses the bun they do! It’s far too floury and doesn’t have that freshly baked bread taste as Fergs does. This is likely due to Fergburger buns being baked at the Ferg Bakery next door!
I love Blue Cheese so when I went to Fergburger and found out I could have it on my burger I was so excited! At Fergburger you can choose from 4 kinds of cheese to have on your burger. They are Swiss, Blue, Cheddar, or Brie Cheese.
To me, this makes Fergburgers cheese much better than Devil Burgers! If you too like to be able to choose from a selection of cheeses to have on your burger, then Fergburger wins.
Both sauces at each place were tasty and had a large selection (most are already paired with a burger). However, I don’t like a large amount of sauce and I found Fergburgers was a bit excessive. Too much sauce takes away from the flavor of the burger so, in my opinion, Devil Burger wins here!
Both places have 20 different burgers on offer and they hit all the meat groups and even have vegetarian options. So on selection, it is a draw!
Related Read: Walk off your burger and fries with one of these day hikes in Queenstown!
After close examination, I have to say the Fergburger has the best burger in Queenstown. The combination of bun, meat patty, and cheese selection means the overall flavor and texture is perfect and worthy of the hype!
It’s just something I believe everyone should try and is one of the top things to do in Queenstown!
If Devil Burger is reading this please change your bun, it’s often the biggest complaint from people when I bring up this very touchy Queenstown subject!
Who wins the battle for you, Fergburger or Devil Burger? I’d love to know your opinion in the comments.
Related Read: Find out where to stay in Queenstown, New Zealand that is close to the city’s best burgers. 😉
5 Must-Do Activities while you’re in Queenstown
- Full-Day Milford Sound Experience – This award-winning Queenstown cruise takes place in one of the most scenic places in New Zealand, Milford Sound in Fiordland National Park. This tour takes you along a scenic drive stopping at many of the best lakes, valleys, and tunnels before ending the experience on a 2-hour cruise through the fjords and waterfalls in Milford Sound. It will be a full day, to say the least, but it will be an unforgettable experience. Lunch is provided.
- Dinner at Walter Peak High Country Farm and Cruise – This laid-back dinner plus cruise is perfect for a day off from physical activity. You’ll ride on the 1912 vintage steamer, the TSS “Earnslaw” to Walter Peak High Country Farm where you’ll enjoy high-end barbequed meats or seafood- buffet style. Cap things off with the choice of desserts and cheeses. After you’ll have the option to stay behind or watch a sheepdog show and sheepshearing demonstration. Truly one of the most exceptional Queenstown tours!
- Scenic Gourmet Food and Wine Tour – Sip wine from New Zealand’s largest wine cave, be served a gourmet lunch, and indulge in local cheeses. While enjoying wines from the best regions on the island you will also pass by scenic locations and learn about the Otago Gold Rush. This half-day wine tour in Queenstown has a badge of excellence for being one of the best and most popular Queenstown activities.
- Shotover River Canyon Swing– Calling all thrill-seekers! You can jump solo or go tandem on this 60-meter (200-foot) freefall over the Shotover River Canyon. The heart-thumping jump transitions into a graceful swing rocking back and forth above the most epic views. You can expect to allow 2.5hrs for this activity.
- Small-Group Zipline Adventure– If you’re not into freefall activities this zipline over Lake Wakatipu and the snow-capped Southern Alps is a great meet-in-the-middle option that can still push you out of your comfort zone if you so choose. You can pick from one of three height options that you feel most comfortable with. The professional guides make sure to provide you with the safest possible experience.
Thanks for reading!
Thanks so much for reading! I hope you found this blog somewhat helpful in your quest for the best burger in Queenstown. If not, you’ll just have to try both!
If you found this blog helpful then jump over to our Queenstown blogs page. It has so many great articles to give you a locals insight into Queenstown.
Alternatively, jump over to our New Zealand page or check out these related articles below:
5 Best Gibbston Valley Wineries
Queenstown to Milford Sound – Road Trip Guide
Saturday 9th of July 2022
We were in Queenstown last week and found out from locals that both of these burger places share the same owner 😛 Devil burger is just as good and has a much shorter line.